J Dickinson & Sons are proud to be a family-owned and run company with over 82 years’ experience in the recycling and skip hire industry. At the heart of our business is the desire to provide a professional and accessible service whilst serving to dispose of waste in an efficient and environmentally friendly manner. Due to our continued expansion, we are now looking for an experienced Transport Planning Manager
The Transport Planning Manager role is a detailed, analytical and solution driven role that uses excellent relationships with Drivers, Hauliers and Customers to negotiate and plan an efficient way forwards. You will have responsibility for the planning and coordination of a fleet of over 30 vehicles, a mixture of own fleet and 3rd Party. The primary goal is to strive for the most efficient logistical planning with the fleet to ensure productivity and cost effectiveness whilst balancing with customer service.
You will be responsible for a small team of multiskilled planners/ call handlers and will be committed to developing your team.
Hours: Monday – Friday 07.00-17.30
Annual Salary: £32,000 – £36,000
• Working together with the Operational Management Team to improve the efficiency and function of site logistics.
• Responsibility of managing and leading a team of 4 direct reports.
• Excellent leadership skills, maximising the potential of others through development and performance management.
• Oversea the planning of Arctic, Skip, Tipper and Bin Wagons.
• Ensure our Hauliers are working to acceptable HSE standards, including Duty of Care and the handling of Hazardous Materials.
• Supporting the Yard Management Team to ensure materials are not allowed to be held too long in the Yard.
• You will work with the Transport Manager and Workshop Manager to ensure maintenance schedules are adhered to.
• Have strong working relationships with key hauliers at all levels, creating value for both companies and adopt solution driven resolutions.
• Effective system management, allocating jobs and liaising with other departments over queries, in line with agreed policies and process.
• Use data and experience to evaluate performance and to plan improvements to drive efficiency.
• Proven management skills with the ability to optimise team performance and development.
• Highly skilled communicator and ability to build relationships both internally and externally.
• Confident in managing projects with thorough planning and detailed execution.
• Strong planning skills with the ability to multi-task with a fine attention to detail
• Good interpersonal, negotiation and influencing skills.
• Self-motivated, flexible and works well under pressure.
Skills & Experience
• Minimum of 2 years Transport/Logistics Planning Management experience working within a fast-moving environment.
• Strong people management and leadership skills
• Experience in the Waste Industry and of using Waste Logics would be an advantage.
• Awareness of Operators Licence Rules
• Knowledge of Driver CPC
• Geographical awareness – routes, distances, journey times
• Experience of asset planning, maintenance, and repairs for trucks
• Process management and continuous improvement
• Excellent listening skills, problem solving attitude and strong communication skills.